Skip to main content

Credit crunch

Whilst politicians are looking after the ‘big boys’, I thought I would post this message that was sent to me' earlier this week.

It shows what is happening in the real world of small business away from the soundbites of a so-called 'economic summit. Although the author said that it could be used freely, I have changed the name of the company.

“I trust that you are well and apologise for taking up your time. I am not looking for any help but, as I am not a member of any other organisation (Chamber of Trade etc.), I just thought that I should tell somebody about the effect that the 'credit crunch' is having on my business - ABC Independent Financial Advisers. Sitting alongside the IFA business I also have ABC Commercial Finance and ABC Vehicle Solutions.

In 2007 we were probably South Wales' largest IFA firm (both by turnover and numbers of financial advisers) - with locations in Cardiff, Swansea and Tenby. We also have offices in Wrexham, Hereford, Bristol and Southampton. Our turnover was £4.2 million and our net profit £491,000. As with most businesses financial advice is seasonal, with quiet periods around Christmas and the summer holidays. However, this economic downturn has virtually stopped our sector from working. If we are struggling, so are all of our competitors. In September 2007 our turnover was £763,000 (gross profit £171,000), whereas, this September it was £172,000 (gross profit £38,000).

I have already made eleven redundancies (half of my management team went last week) and cut my costs to the bone but, with salaries, rents and leases, it still costs £75,000 per month to keep the business running.

The banks have either withdrawn from the market or tightened their lending criteria so much than most individuals/businesses cannot obtain facilities (commercial finance, asset finance, residential mortgages or buy-to-let mortgages). The turmoil in the stock markets has affected investor confidence, so that potential investors are keeping their assets in cash (Northern Rock, Bradford & Bingley and the Irish banks). Inflationary pressures (increases in the price of road fuel, gas electricity, food, etc.) and the fear of redundancies are making individuals reluctant to commit to protection and retirement products.

The businesses are owned by my wife and myself. The media is full of national governments assisting the large banks (who, arguably, caused the problems) but nobody appears to care what it is doing to the small businessman involved in the financial sector. I am sure that we will get through this (one way or the other) but, if we do not, there will be another 60+ individuals looking for employment”.

Despite the grand statements from the economic summit today (seemingly swallowed hook line and sinker by BBC journos), I fail to see how any of the measures proposed will help this company or thousands of others across Wales

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree Dylan ,it was all talk and no sunstance, it summed it up for me when I saw all those salaried, well dressed ,managers and old boys amble into that room. There was no urgency it was probably as the BP was ,a jaunt down memory lane iwth some smiles and a few points
NOTHING came out of it tha tany sense of urgency or entreprenuership,at least there wasnt another F****** task force
Very angry mam
Anonymous said…
Judge them on their actions and not their words. If yesterday's p.r. event was nothing more than that, then please feel free to put the boot in.
Otherwise, I see no realistic suggestions from you that can save these thousands of small businesses. The corporation tax cut is not within the gift of WAG and London will not agree to it, as you well know.
The reality is that whatever any Govt does at any level across the globe in the coming weeks, we are still facing an economic meltdown of horrific proportions, due mainly to politicians of all parties allowing uncontrolled free market capitalism. Now, I'm no communist and have seen benefits of the global market, yet the naive belief that the free market is best for all solutions, has brought the world economy to its knees.
This comment has been removed by the author.
mam - you share the growing sense of frustration felt by many businesses out there.

Anon - of course it was a pr event and actions should have started months ago. Do you honestly think that issues such as focused procurement, better payment terms, low business rates and better use of European funding could not have been implemented earlier?

As for the free market, I can assure you I am no fan of the banking community and you are right about the global situation. However, recession is coming even if the financial issues are sorted and we need to get our arses into gear to deal with it immediately.

By the way, read the post from Monday which seems to have formed a large part for the CBI-TUC response to the summit.

Where do you get the idea that I have mentioned corporation tax cuts. It is not a devolved issue, although operational aid is something that could have been pushed through using European funds and essentially would have done the same thing in our poorest communities.

I shall blog more on this over the weekend.

Popular posts from this blog

THE CRACHACH

Unlike me, do you consider yourself part of 'the establishment' here in Wales?  As thousands gather for the Eisteddfod in Mold this morning, they will, according to some social commentators, not be participating in the greatest cultural festivals of Europe. Instead, they will merely be bit-part players in one of the annual gatherings of the great and good of Wales.  Unkindly, this set of the movers and shakers in Welsh society is known as 'the crachach' , and constitute a social class all of their own, dominating the educational, cultural and media sectors of Wales and allegedly looking down upon any outsider with new ideas, reinforcing mediocrity and failing to see beyond the limits of their own narrow experience.  They are said to live in a comfort zone that awaits the expected invitation to the next glass of chilled chardonnay and canapés, forgetting that due to their lack of leadership and drive, Wales remains firmly rooted to the bottom of the UK prosperity league ...

THE FUTURE FOR SILICON VALLEY

During the last twenty years, there have been many academics, politicians and policymakers (including yours truly) who have looked over to the innovation developed in Silicon Valley, California and wondered if we could ever emulate that success here in Wales. Whilst the former First Minister Rhodri Morgan proposed only last week that South Wales could become the “UK’s answer to Silicon Valley”, he is not alone in the world with such a suggestion for his local area. With imitation often being the sincerest form of flattery, many others regions across the globe have tried to emulate the ‘secret sauce’ that has led to this small valley to the South East of San Francisco becoming the seedbed for world-leading companies such as Hewlett-Packard, Apple and Google. But after fifty years of success, can it maintain its position as the premier location for innovation in the World? This is a question that its own business community has recently been asking itself. This has culminated in a...

Turn the Welsh Blogosphere Blue

It's not often I will criticise my party in public but we have really got to pull our finger out over our presence on the web, especially as it is estimated that we only have four active bloggers (and I am one of those!). This despite having a significant presence by individual Welsh conservatives on networking sites such as Facebook . It is disappointing that only Nick Bourne has a blog presence amongst our AMs and that Glyn Davies (who started his blog when down in Cardiff Bay) is the sole parliamentary candidate with an active blog. As far as I know, not one of our councillors is currently blogging. Many will say that they don't have the time to do this but we are all busy people and one of our hardest working shadow ministers, David Jones MP, makes the effort to blog nearly every day. Others will say that there is nothing to write about, so why do I get at least ten press releases every day from the Welsh party? Some have told me that it is a waste of time because the ...